Monday, February 1, 2010

Thankful and Guilty

The wedding celebrations have begun and we have just had our first couple of showers. I very much appreciate the people who have given us wedding presents and those who haven thrown us these showers. I am overwhelmed by their kindness. I feel undeserving.

As a single woman, I haven't really needed much because I always had wonderful roommates and we were able to piece together our pots and pans to cook anything that we wanted to. Of course, I always thought it would be nice to have my own stuff, but it wasn't necessary. Now that Eric and I are going to be married, we really do need things since neither one of us really has very many necessities for a home.

As people give us gifts, I am so thankful, but part of me feels guilty. I know that I shouldn't feel bad, but I keep thinking of those that don't have anything. We as Americans all have so many material things. We all know it is true, but when we acknowledge it, it seems to just come out of our mouths and not affect our hearts. On the other hand, I realize I shouldn't feel guilty. I love my new plates. They are so beautiful and dainty, and I am grateful to those that gave them to us. The friends and family that gave us those wanted us to know us to have them.

There is a sign that hangs over my door that I see every day, which says "Be thankful always." It is easier to be thankful when things are good and I am overwhelmed with gratitude right now. Sadly, I can't say that I have always been thankful. I pray in the future God would make me thankful no matter my circumstances.

1 comment:

  1. Christa, great to read your blog! Something I've realized since having my own bridal and baby showers is--and this may sound a little cynical, but it's true and kind of funny--your showers are almost like buying a ton of stuff on credit. Because over the course of your lifetime, you will go to enough bridal and baby showers to pay back what people spent on yours tenfold. But enjoy all your beautiful things! They will become even more precious as time goes by.

    ReplyDelete