Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Rule Number 1 of Customer Service

If I were making a list of rules of customer service, the first rule on my list would be "Do not make fun of your customer." This seems like an obvious notion, but this weekend when Eric and I were apartment shopping one of employees of an unnamed apartment complex (that we did not sign a lease with) made fun of me.

The conversation went more or less like this:

Mr. No Customer Service: Where are you from?

Me: I am from Alabama.

Mr. No Customer Service: Really, why do you live there?

Me: Umm, because that is where my family lives. Alabama is where I have lived all my life.

(A few minutes later Mr. No Customer Service begins a conversation about sports.)

Mr. No Customer Service: Sports, sports, blah, blah...( I am taking a nap in my head.) Alabama doesn't have any sports teams.

Me: Well, no professional sports teams, but the University of Alabama did just win the National Championship. That's a pretty big deal, huh? (Ha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment