Sunday, May 2, 2010

Country Roads

Recently, I have moved to Northern Virginia and said "Good bye" to my entire life thus far in the deep South. One of the funny things that people ask me up here is "Is it SO different?" I guess they want me to ask them what you call those things that they wear on their feet are. I usually just say "Well, there is the lack in Southern accents (oh how I miss them) and you have tons more traffic up here and everyone isn't obsessed with college football."

However, there are some things from the South that I will always be apart of me. One thing is the Southern woman's emphasis on keeping her appearance looking nice. God knew that I would love clothes and dolling up which is probably why he let me be born in the South. Fun fact: My mother says that before I could walk or talk I could pick out my own clothes and they would be match. She would hold me up to my clothes drawer and I would point to what I wanted to wear.

Also, I will miss the food. Why do you think that Alabama and Mississippi are always #1 and #2 for the fatest states? It is because they have the best food; and well, they probably don't exercise as much. My husband agrees with me on this one.

But the thing that I miss the most are my friends and family in the South. I guess that would be true of anywhere that you have grown up. The people are what make it special. I am sure that once I am settled and make friends up here that I will feel similar about living here, but at this time, I find it hard to believe that I will ever meet such wonderful people as have meet during my years in AL.

2 comments:

  1. hi christa! i just found your blog via a fb network app. best wishes on settling in your new home! i'm going to add your blog to my rss reader. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, I am so glad that you found me! I looked at your blog and I love it.

    ReplyDelete